Today we are off to Bandelier National Monument ! As we head north out of Santa Fe, the topography and the scenery starts to change. I can't seem to capture all that I am seeing with just a camera. But it will have to do.
Rio Grande River
As with other National Parks and Monuments there are now so many people that visit that the Park Service has set up shuttles to move people in and out of the park. We don't mind - we got there fairly early and it is still pretty cool. I know it's supposed to get hot today but that seems far away right now. We were cautioned before we left the visitor center to bring water, and use the rest rooms!
This monument preserves the dwellings of the cliff dwellers from hundreds of years ago. I won't go into all the history as that would take too long. What also is taking me so long is choosing which pictures to post!! I admit I took oodles of pictures, all of which I love for the breathtaking views.
Here Jacky and I are just starting out. Look how happy, clean, and non-sweaty we are! Little do I know what lies ahead,the physical challenges for myself.
This is the first of the dwellings we can explore. The only way to get inside is to climb this ladder.
View from the inside. Here you can also see the next people wanting to see inside. There was only room for Jacky and me.
Partway up the cliff. You can see that we are climbing. Also below is the remains of the village after the Indians became agricultural.
One of many pictographs. This one resembles a snake like creature that is seen in ore than one place.
The rock that we are looking at is actually volcanic rock. I assumed it was sandstone but it is not. This is called Tuff and is similar in it's composition I think. It does make the rock look like Swiss cheese! But the Indians took advantage of that and, working with hand tools, dug out dwellings that lasted hundreds of years..
Here you see the outline of the people that lived on the floor of the canyon. They came after the cliff dwellers. You can't get a sense of the shape and size of their community until you are partway up the cliff and can look down.
There were lots of flowers in bloom as well as cactus everywhere. Of course I had to stop and take pictures!
A section of painted wall that has been uncovered and preserved.
We eventually left the cliffs and went down into the canyon where there is a small year round stream. In 2011, hundreds of thousands of aces were burned in a wildfire and, shortly after, there came a hard rain that sent water crashing through the canyon. You can see evidence of this all over. But look at the trees that grow down at the bottom here!
The water crossings weren't well made...
We did come across a Mule Deer doe and her twin fawns. We watched them for quite a while, until noisy people came down the trail.
Jacky, John, and I went to the Alcove. The way up was these ladders - 140ft vertical climb. I really had no idea what I was up against...
Even though I am not fond of heights, I decided to try it...
The views on the way up were incredible!
John on his way up. This is the second, and longest, ladder. I was proud I got up it! There are no safety things in place if you notice...
Take another look at the steepness of this ladder...
This is the Alcove - what we are climbing to.
Spectacular view!
The mile high club. We made it!!!
Just to prove I made it too! Notice I look less perky and clean than at the beginning of our trek. This is the only covered kiva. You are not allowed to go inside though.
Storage rooms? And just how do you get your food here in the first place???
On the way down. Look how narrow this trail is here! And there are people trying to go the other way at the same time!
Made it all the way down. Limped back as quick as could be to catch the shuttle so we could get to Los Alamos and the Bradford Museum. Took a picture though as we were leaving. It reminded me of The Painted Desert, except on a much larger scale. Breathtaking, isn't it?
The museum was on the Manhatten Project. About the men and women who designed and tested the atom bomb. A piece of American History.
Jacky took a few more pictures once we got home.
Lee's front door
Street view of Lee's patio out back.
Polly's house where we watched the Zozobra festival Friday night.
That's all for today. Tomorrow we go home but I sure wish I could stay longer!

































Wow,Lori! What beautiful pictures! How could you climb that latter? Your back must be better. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Look forward to seeing you and hearing all about it. Although you Blog makes me feel I am there. You do such a great Blog!!! Thank you for doing it again!!!!!
ReplyDelete